Dear readers, today through this article we are going to give you information about how to treat otitis externa in dogs.
Ear infections are common in dogs. In the cases that reach the vet, most of the complaints are about this disease. Infection of the outer ear, also known as otitis externa, is a common problem in dogs. Yeast and bacteria are naturally present in the ears of dogs, which do not cause harm. However, problems such as allergies can irritate the lining of the ears.
In this, a wax-like element starts accumulating on the layers of the ear. It provides a favorable environment for the growth of bacteria and yeast which later take the form of infection. Human ears are straight in shape, unlike dogs’ ears that are L-shaped. Dogs are more prone to infections because of the structure of their ears. This is because they are structured in such a way that moisture can easily collect in them. here we are going to tell you how to treat otitis externa in dogs.
Which Breeds Are Most At Risk Of Otitis Externa
Dog breeds such as spaniels and terriers are more prone to infection. The ears of dogs of this breed are long, sloping, and highly sensitive to allergens. Ear mites can be the leading cause of ear infections in dogs, but it is more common in younger dogs.
Causes Of Otitis Externa in Dogs
Dog ear infections can be caused by several reasons. Chief among these are –
- Immune disorder
- Gland tumor
Otitis externa, an external ear infection in dogs, has several diagnoses, the most important of which is to identify and treat the cause of the infection.
Also Read: Old Dog Not Eating And Sleeping A Lot
Symptoms Of Otitis Externa in Dogs
This problem occurring in the ears of dogs is very painful. In the event of infection, he starts doing many such activities, to see which this problem can be identified. Dogs do this during infection
- Head shaking
- Ear twitching
- Bad breath
- Ear discharge
- Redness of ears
If the infection is not taken care of in time and necessary treatment is not received, then the external ear infection gradually reaches the inner ear. This can lead to complex problems. This can lead to facial paralysis, tilting of the head, and even seizures.
How To Treat Otitis Externa In Dogs?
Diagnosis Of Otitis Externa in Dogs
If you notice any of the above symptoms, first contact your veterinarian. Usually, doctors ask for all the information about the animal, after which they start tests to check for infection.
- Redness on the lining of the ear, any kind of blockage in the ear hole, accumulation of a large amount of wax-like substance, some dark black fluid coming out of the ear is a signs that there is an ear infection.
- With the help of an otoscope, the doctor closely examines the blockage and wax, etc. in the ear hole.
- If the dog is in severe pain and does not allow the ear to be examined, the doctor sedates him.
- It is sent to the lab for necessary examination of tissue and infection.
- Allergy testing is also very important, as ear infections are often caused by food or environmental allergies.
- If this problem is recurring then a biopsy is done for its treatment. X-rays may also be taken if the infection is suspected to have spread.
Also Read: How To Make A Constipated Dog Poop Quickly?
Treatment Of Otitis Externa In Dogs
The report of the investigation shows which microorganisms are causing the infection, based on this the doctors start the process of treatment.
- Antibiotics, antifungal drugs are given in the initial stages, so that the infection can be controlled.
- Do not stop treatment until the disease is completely cured or there is a risk of recurrence.
- Treatment is usually carried out for 2-3 weeks. However, in cases where the risk of infection is high, it may take up to a month.
- If there is inflammation of the eardrum, corticosteroids may be prescribed to reduce pain and swelling.
- In many cases that cannot be cured by treatment, surgery is done.
- Keep in mind that these types of problems can be prevented by regularly cleaning the dog’s ears. If your dog lives in a humid environment or swims in water for a long time, keep his ears dry from time to time.